Pakistan Forces Kill 49 Militants in Operations Across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan
The military reported 12 fighters from groups linked to the Pakistani Taliban killed in the northwest and 37 from Baloch separatist networks in the southwest.

Islamabad2 min read
Last updated
Pakistani security forces killed 49 militants in a series of intelligence-based raids across the country’s western provinces, the military said on Friday.
Twelve of those killed belonged to groups the authorities designate as Fitna al-Khawarij, the term used for the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and allied networks operating mainly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The operations took place in Bannu, North Waziristan, Orakzai and Khyber districts.
Another 37 militants linked to Baloch separatist groups, referred to by the military as Fitna al-Hindustan, were killed in ten operations in Mastung, Mach, Khuzdar and Panjgur districts of Balochistan.
The Inter-Services Public Relations said the raids inflicted significant blows on the networks and thwarted attempts to undermine peace and stability. Pakistan has long accused both the Pakistani Taliban and Baloch groups of operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan and receiving support from India. Both Afghanistan and India deny the claims.
Violence in the two provinces has risen in recent months. The Pakistani Taliban has intensified attacks on security forces and civilians in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, while Baloch insurgents have targeted infrastructure and personnel in the resource-rich southwest.
The latest operations form part of a broader campaign that has combined ground raids with occasional cross-border strikes. Earlier this year Pakistan carried out precision strikes on what it described as militant camps in Afghanistan’s border provinces, drawing sharp protests from Kabul.
Balochistan has seen a long-running insurgency by groups seeking greater autonomy or independence. The province hosts major Chinese-backed projects under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, which have become frequent targets of attacks.
In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa the resurgence of the TTP after the Afghan Taliban’s return to power in 2021 has forced Islamabad to increase troop deployments and launch repeated clearance operations.
The military statement did not provide independent verification of the casualty figures or the identities of those killed. Local reports in past operations have sometimes differed on the number of civilian casualties, though none were mentioned in Friday’s release.
The raids occur against a backdrop of strained relations with the Afghan Taliban government, which Pakistan holds responsible for failing to restrain the TTP. Diplomatic contacts continue, but trust remains low.
